Friday 21 October 2011

Loom Number 9

PIQUÉ DOUBLE ÉTOFFE

VÊTEMENT- MANTEAU LAINAGE (Wool coat!)

CHAINES- 2 LAINE CARDÉE ET LAINE PEIGNÉE







Painting a warp??! Now that's something I didn't think I would be doing again after our crazy warp painting days during our weave block. However with all of us using the same looms I figured it would be best to personalize my work a little as well as trying to keep to my mineral/crystal colour palette which seems to have lost considerable importance since we have started weaving. However this warp painting is not like the botch watercolour job I did at Chelsea. I had to purchase special inks to paint wool. When my sample is finished I will have to iron it to fix the colours and then give it a cold wash.





This cloth was unusual in that both warps were woven separately to create two layers. The layers are then held together by the pattern which occurs when the threads from the bottom warp cross over onto the top warp and become visible.



-This was my first time working with 2 warps. With different densities, threading up took a bit of time to figure out as did the threading plan.
-I experimented further with double cloth technique and learnt a little trick of how to seal the ends of the pockets either side of the cloth.
-Whilst working on the other looms I had been told that I beat the weft too hard. However on these samples I apparently have not beaten hard enough. Clothilde said that the fabric is too fragile and washing could cause parts of the fabric to come loose and unravel. She says I must wash my samples rigorously with hot water and soap to test their quality. I am terrified of doing this in case all my hard work unravels down the sink! I suppose it would be a necessary step within the clothing manufacturing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment