Wednesday 26 October 2011

Cloth Analysis



Today we began our cloth analysis class. Or Cloth post-mortem as I like to call it. Basically, each lesson, the teacher cuts up a piece of old cloth and with small sharp instruments, strong microscopes and good vision we have to slowly dissect it thread by thread. Through analysis we will be able to establish the weave, numerous things about the warp, e.g. proportion, material, density, threading plan, weft etc etc. In fact we will gain so much knowledge that we are able to construct a carbon copy of the cloth. The teacher referred to it as textile espionage! Although some may find the exercise incredibly boring and tedious I actually think it will help me to gain a better knowledge of woven cloth which, for me is much needed! I often struggle to comprehend how certain elements in the preparation process will effect the final appearance of the cloth so I hope that this class will help me to visualize this better.

No comments:

Post a Comment