Friday 21 October 2011

Loom Number 2

SERGÉ DERIVES/ DIAGONALS

VÊTEMENT

CHAINE- 40% TUSSAH (SOIE) 60% LAINE





Oh the endless possibilities of a twill!
I wasn't very happy with the initial texture of my fabric as it felt quite heavy. Therefore I changed my weft threads to schappe soie which gave my cloth a much more luxurious feel and quality. It also gained a nice quality of glistening in light.
One on the tutors, Ursula told me to concentrate on experimenting just with the direction of the twill and to imagine how it's size, width etc would look across the body. She said it was important for me to draw the pattern on paper and design it before I start weaving. This is certainly not something I have done before but is essential when designing for a specific brief. It makes me laugh to think of my last weave project at Chelsea when I just got started with no idea what my final idea would be. I just let my ideas develop as I went along. An approach which I actually really like as I am a firm believe that the best ideas can come form accidents or random trial and error experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment