Wednesday 26 October 2011

Loom Number 8

POIL TRAINANT SUR FOND TOILE

AMEUBLEMENT (furniture)- SIÈGE/ RIDEAUX

CHAINE- 2 EN COTON

With two warps of different density cottons, we were told to experiment once again with motifs and toiles. No matter how hard I tried to design my motif, every time it ended up looking like some awful sofa bed material from the 90s. I can't say I am really happy with any of my samples but nonetheless it was good to practice creating new weave patterns and seeing how they translated into cloth.



These fabrics were deemed as totally unsuccessful by my tutor. The first is certainly too dark so that the motif has lost all definition. In addition, Clothilde pointed out that as the striped areas has become so dense with threads, they could not be beaten with the same vigour as the other areas to crete a consistently dense cloth.








To create my last cloths, I decided to eradicate the (by this point) extremely annoying dominant dark blue stripes by raising the other warp and keeping the dark blue warp out of action apart from the appearance of the odd motif or two. I was advised by a third year to to a bit of toile either side of my floating threads motifs so that when I cut the floats on the reverse the threads would not come free. However Clothilde later advised me that this was not really necessary, especially when the motifs are not very large. My most successful cloth would probably have to be my small squared motif blue cloth. I believe it has a slightly more modern, fresh feel than the other samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment