Tuesday 27 September 2011

Jean Dubuffet



La Vie de Famille

I studied Jean Dubuffet back in the days of GCSE art and I can vividly remember detesting his work. I thought it to be incredible childish, disorganized and frankly quite naive. It is so interesting how your opinions and tastes can change over time. When I stumbled upon the Jean Dubufet gallery in Les Arts Décoratifs, I entered a world of animated colour and shape. His paintings are ambiguous yet playful and full of shape and energy. Their titles, e.g. Affaires en Ville (Business in Town) give clarity to the subject at hand- a chaotic scene in which form and colour appear to dance side by side forming a narrative evoking the hectic urban lifestyle. I really enjoyed entering his world like stepping into the artists mind and being enveloped within its playful charm. I also found the more textured pieces, such as Coursegoules particularly fascinating in the complexity of their composition.



Coursegoules




Mechanique Musique

No comments:

Post a Comment