Saturday 10 September 2011

Why oh why?!

To help me stay focused during my four months I have decided to write a list of why I have decided to do the ERASMUS Exchange. If I have a bad day I can look back on the list to remind myself why I am here, what I hope to achieve and give myself some general self- belief and encouragement.

1. I hope to acquire new weaving skills. I have heard that the teaching here is very different to Chelsea in that learning is very structured and new weave structures are learnt and replicated by looking at old pieces of cloth.

2. To open my eyes to the French style which I hope will inform and inspire my future work.

3. To gain contacts within the industry, e.g. for Premier Vision. Within the fashion/textile field, contacts are indispensable and to meet new designers working in other countries will be incredibly valuable.

4. To stretch my creative imagination. Inspiration does not come to those who stay in one location. As a designer, I know that we certainly 'have no time to stand and stare'. I must get out there and explore Paris and absorb its delights.

5. To become a walking encyclopedia of Paris museums and galleries. Paris has hundreds! I have never known a city to have so many. I plan to visit them all (if that is possible!) And the cemeteries as I have heard they are pretty spectacular also.

6. To enjoy myself. All work and no play would not make for an enjoyable experience. The French are such sociable beings and I will embrace their hospitality with open arms.

I have been given such an incredible opportunity and I must ensure I gain the most out of these precious four months as I possibly can as I know they will pass in the blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment