Tuesday 20 September 2011

Threads of colour take two!

At Maison et Objet I stumbled across the work of Eva Marguerre & Marcel Besau, part of the product design group Petite Friture. Their hand woven storage vessels immediately reminded me of Zynsky's glass vessel in Musée des Arts Décoratifs with their fusion of vivid colours. Despite have an extraordinary simple construction they have the appearance of extremely complex, well crafted products.



The vessels are made from hand woven elastic yarns which are then soaked in resin and pressed over a form to set in the desired form. As a weaver, I have a keen interest in the construction of cloth and the use of yarn and this simple technique strikes me as a novel way of creating a surface. The vessels are definitely aesthetically pleasing but as for being very practical, I'm not that convinced!



No comments:

Post a Comment