Tuesday 15 November 2011

Work Update

Since Friday's meeting and evaluation I have continued weaving to my heart's content and have.....

-Completed two more samples on Loom number 5 (the one with the cotton and elastic/silk warp). Whoever initially threaded up the loom made countless mistakes crossing threads etc so I have to rethread the whole thing which slowed down progress significantly. After initially experimenting with toile on the elastic bands and more elaborate weave structures on the larger cotton bands I was told to stop. We were only supposed to use simple toile on this warp and chose appropriate colour threads as its aim was to experiment with a fabric textured by the warp. I suppose that a complex pattern would make the whole cloth far too fussy. It's just ever so tricky to get just the right amount of tension on both warps and especially to ensure the lycra warp is pulled taught enough or else no ripples will form!




-Returned to work on Loom number 1 (Linge de maison- nappe). I wanted to create a simpler linen cloth with my heart motifs so chose to redo this with a dark grey linen thread. I also wanted to experiment with creating a more textured cloth. Texture is something which really appeals to be as a textile designer.



By doubling up my cotton thread I have created a bobby surfaced cloth which I believe fits the purpose (tea towel fabric) as it would be ultra absorbent. Clothilde has argued that it would be too thick but I would like to wait until it is cut off the loom to truly be able to asses this.



I also decided to redo a Gauffre sample using smaller patterns so that the threads would float on the surface of the cloth less and therefore it would be more durable. I decided to tone down the colours and use a mixture of 2 grey linens as I am fully aware that some of my collections are far too jazzy as far as colours are concerned. However I do think I prefer the original melange of colours I used in my first Gauffre sample as it is rather more feminine!




-I have also done a couple of extra samples on Loom number 8 (with the nasty green, white, grey and blue stripes).
Firstly I wanted to do a plain sample using the weave I used on a previous cloth but omitting the dark stripes this time. It's a bit difficult to see this with it still on the loom as the dark shadows of the loose warp threads hanging beneath the cloth are still visible.



Also, during my evaluation and contemplation I realized that during my time working on this particular warp I became obsessed with the green and white check and therefore this came to dominate many of my samples. I have no idea why I adopted this as it really does not fit into any of my colour schemes. Therefore I decided to do another sample using burgundy and grey warp threads to mask the striped warp. I also designed a little triangle motif which I thought was rather reminiscent of the angular shapes of my minerals.




-And finally I returned to Loom number 10 to redo a silk, stripy sample in a more neutral colourway. In my opinion, sometimes samples look a bit dull and uninspiring on their own, but I know that once within a collection they are as important as the stand out, eye catching pieces to crete a good visual harmony and balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment