Sunday 20 November 2011

Loom number 7

DAMASSÉ SATIN DE 5

AMEUBLEMENT

CHAINE- COTTON


Like a few of the others, the fine quality of the warp threads meant that I suffered several broken strings during my work on this loom. For this montage, a simple weave structure was demanded (satin de 5) and we were to concentrate instead on colour and playing with warp and weft effects to hide/ reveal the white and black stripes. Although it was pretty much impossible to conceal them altogether so I suppose it was rather a matter of making them more or less dominant. As the different stripes were threaded on different shafts it gave us real freedom to be creative (well this is about as creative as I guess its going to get). And this little element of freedom made me feel extremely liberated! This joyous moment soon disappeared when I realized I hadn't been following the "satin rule" vigilantly enough and therefore my fils were not sufficiently "bloqués" (if the techer tried hard enough she could "bouge" (move) them by half a mm). I had another round of "Pourquoi pas?" and "Quel dommage", which ended with the inevitable, and much dreaded words "encore un fois"! Basically redo the whole thing!!!! Note to self- must learn Satin rule i.e. a pris must be followed by a laisse to block when changing patterns. This will not make sense to anybody but it is for my own future benefit should I wish to take up checked tablecloth manufacturing as a future career.










After beginning with cotton threads, I branched out into schappe soie as I am rather fond of a more silky, luxuries feeling cloth. I like how vividly the colours in the silk yarns appear. They are far glossier than the cotton which I suppose are more natural looking and practical for tablecloth material. All in all, I enjoyed working with this warp as although the stripes did add a bit of constraints to the final outcome, the freedom to design the cloth with blocks of colour and shape really gave me the opportunity to personalize my fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment