Tuesday 22 November 2011

A Rendez-vous with the lovely Sophie!


With only 3 and a half weeks left, Sophie and I finally managed to get our acts together for a lunchtime meet and massive catch-up.

It was so nice to be able to chat openly about our ups and downs, fails and successes and general time in this new city. It seems as though we have both managed to find what I believe they call "our own little Paris" and have fallen head over heels with our new lives here. The culture, atmosphere and sheer beauty of the place equally astounds us both.

However to get back to reality, on the school side of things we have both certainly encountered difficulties. From lack of communication to being lost in translation this relocation has certainly had its challenges work wise. While she had a giggle at my heart motif linen tea-towel class and was shocked at the rigidity and lack of creativity within my classes, it seems she was suffering from the complete opposite- a lack of direction, not really knowing what is demanded of you. Whereas I know exactly what is demanded of me- it is written on a post-it note affixed to each loom "wool coat", "soft bed-linen" et tout le bazar. My problem is that my creative streak and desire to break free and try different things sometimes gets the better of me. Much to my teachers sheer annoyance.

At Ecole des Beaux-Arts Sophie said she is in 4th year! I suddenly felt a little embarrassed to say that I had opted for first year! But actually I am glad as it seems as though the other years are very much self-directed and without a good grasp of the language and knowledge of where to get resources, how to use all of the machines etc I think my technical classes suit the purpose much better as I am here for such a short period of time.It has also given me much insight into the "french way" and in particular the french style not only of textiles but of teaching and life in general. Suffice to say Sophie said she had not managed to find anyone willing to teach her how to use the knitting machines at her school yet. She has however been doing a lot of drawing and photography which I imagine has given her plenty of inspiration for future projects and is definitely something I have missed.

On the subject of the language, we both had the same thoughts. You can forget your Alevel French. That won't help you here. What you really need is a willingness to try and fail, a confidence to remain clueless, and an ability to remain calm and collected when you are unable to express yourself. Also being at ease and content with your own company and thoughts really help as I imagine not being able to have a deep, meaningful conversation for weeks may drive a lot of people crazy. And no the French do not/will not speak english. Even in Paris. And why should they? After all we are guests in their incredibly precious capital city....

No comments:

Post a Comment