Monday 28 November 2011

Slightly more adventurous knitting...



Ok so the second week of knitting has begun and doesn't make back know it! Bending over the machine from 9.30-6.30 with Cora demanding unusual knit structures which I am almost certain I would struggle to understand in english has left me feeling much older but thankfully not cranky!

Monday is our most intensive day as it is the only time Cora instructs us all day and bombardes our brain with far too much information. She does not condone note taking as she believes you should just "get on with it" and only take notes afterwards if your knit is actually a success. By which time I have forgotten what I did, with which yarns, at what tension and so on. Therefore it has very much been an exercise in memory and not only "knit patience". Knitting is difficult. Something I discovered well and truly last year. Knitting in French is extremely difficult. I have picked up two key words- "lâche" and "serré". Everytime I knit a sample it is either too lâche or too serré (loose or tight). Just like in weave, only the most perfect samples will do. And so far I have completed....zero. But having said that, I am actually enjoying myself. Luckily there are only two others in my knit group and so I do not get left behind and iwith such an intimate atmosphere we really help, advise and encourage each other. I have been making visual notes- drawing buttons etc to remember different techniques and though the girls can completely understand by just listening they often refer to my idiots guide illustrated step by step notebook!

We are encouraged to experiment with different yarns- textures and colours that fit appropriately into our chosen painting. I chose a beautifully demure Edvard Munch painting which is currently in his exhibition at the Pompidou. Trying wools, bamboo, linens, silks and synthetic yarns has been interesting and the mixing of yarns has created some aesthetically appealing, unexpected effects.



Below are a few examples of some new techniques I have learnt. I have attempted to note the names but most times I ended up completely confused and lost in translation-



Drawing a pattern into my knit. As you can see it didn't go totally to plan for me. This one definitely needs a lot of thought and forward planning put into it in order to achieve exactly the desired effect.




I believe this technique is a Noppe knit. Although I'm not too sure on the spelling. I'm a fan of the feminine, lacy effect it creates.



This is another take on the Noppe technique It involves transferring loops from one needle to the next on the bottom fronture in order to create the desired bobble effect.




This is another technique which involves displacing loops of thread. It is a delicate, fiddly task but I really like the quality of the scattered little holes.



Textured squares through moving sections of knit back and forward from the back to front fronture and vice versa. Very time consuming but pretty effective. Not sure whether my chunky wool yarn is best at showing the contrasting textures but I will try with another yarn when I have a spare 5 hours!





Planned ladders to give a more fragile, transparent cloth.



I'm looking forward to taking some time to practice and improve on these techniques and the others I have yet to attempt!

No comments:

Post a Comment