Tuesday 8 November 2011

Loom number 5

PEKIN TOILE/ TOILE OU CANNELÉ/ SATIN

CHAINES- 1. COTON
2. SOIE/ LYCRA

VÊTEMENTS


I have just started weaving on this loom which is quickly becoming the bain of my life! In order to achieve the desired outcome- a textured scrunchy fabric, the two warps must be woven at different tensions. The lycra warp at an extremely tight tension and the cotton considerably looser. Achieving the perfect equilibrium is proving to be very difficult and if I had a pound for every broken thread I had fixed...well I wouldn't be desperately needing my erasmus grant! For one I think the cotton is very fine for such a complex warp- 2/120mm and in future I would probably try and avoid using such a fine, fragile cotton. Also our teacher has been ill for nearly a week now so with no one to advise on the perfect tension it's all a bit trail and error. I'm also struggling to find a suitable weft yarn which doesn't slip against the warp. I firstly tried with cotton yarns of the same diameter as the warp but found these too easy to pull apart on form holes in my cloth. As you can imagine, progress has been extremely slow but I will persevere!


No comments:

Post a Comment