Sunday 6 November 2011

Loom number 3

SERGÉ "TWEED"

LAINE CARDÉE


As well as painting the warp, another thing I did not think I would be attempting again for a while was a hand operated loom. To be honest though, it was a welcome break from the temperamental computer linked looms which always seem to go a bit crazy. I really enjoyed the hands on nature of the loom and somehow felt more connected to the creation of the cloth. Strange I know as it takes about 10 times longer!

The aim of this warp was to create variants of tweed and I was advised to use Gardiner of Selkirk Scottish wool with a distinctly strong sheepy smell. I set the whole class off into giggles when the teacher asked me to sniff the yarn and tell everyone what it smelled like. I merely said "home". Turns out Wales' reputation has indeed stretched across the channel!

What's been really interesting during my time here is that gradually I am "learning to love simplicity" and becoming content with only using one weave pattern per sample, thinking about the lasting quality of my cloth etc.

My weaving patterns were mostly rather simple and straightforwards Sergés. I was advised not to beat very heavily as washing the samples would allow the wool to fuse and create a more whole cloth. Unfortunately, the rather vivid warp colours- red and yellow were rather dominant but all the same it was interesting to thing about other colours of a similar value to the ones already present to compliment.

In one sample I decided to experiment with "Effects Factices". I'm not really sure what the translation is but basically it's to do with using colours of a similar value in the warp and weft to achieve incredibly patterns. It all depends on the warp. Because this warp was threaded up with two red yarns followed by two yellow I was able to replicate this rhythm in the weft (two red followed by two yellow or other colours of an equal value) to create interesting motifs and pattern. I have photocopied many, many notes on this technique and it is definitely something I would like to look into further in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment