Sunday 6 November 2011

Loom Number 10

DOUBLE FACE TRAME

TOILE BAYADÈRE

CHAINE POLYAMIDE


I remember doing a little experimentation with double cloth during my Garden project at Chelsea but I only really skimmed the surface. I therefore really enjoyed having the liberty to play around with different surfaces and contrasting sides and patterns.



I started off using wool and a linen but found this created a rather stiff cloth. The same was true for the sample below which has linen thread on both sides.



Wanting to create a more elegant, supple cloth I decided to use silk threads. I chose to use rich colours to add to the luxurious feel which I believe has been achieved. The Polymide transparent yarn which made the warp allowed me to really make my weaves my own and gave me full freedom to design without the restriction of stripes or existent colour within the warp. It also made me begin to think about designing cloth for a collection and the necessity of some simple and some more complex pattern and design.







I am very pleased with the above sample as I believe the two sides despite contrasting as regards to material (wool and silk) they equally bind together well to create a harmony as specks of darker colour within the silk stripes can be seen within the mixed nature of the wool. I think it would make for a suitable cloth for a jacket. I will have to await the verdict of my teacher though!


No comments:

Post a Comment