Sunday 4 December 2011

Graffiti- to love or loathe?

Paris is certainly a city of contrasts when it comes to urban beauty. In my opinion, the neo-classical, bourgeoisie stone buildings which dominate its cityscape sit awkwardly against walls of chaotic graffiti. Cutting across the elegant and traditional with radical colour and a strong vibe of youth and change, be it rebellion or simply reinvigoration. As you can probably tell I am undecided about my views on graffiti. While yes, I can appreciate it takes extraordinary skill and talent and would definitely consider it an art form, a part of me is hesitant. Does it really accentuate diversity and convey modernity and development or is it really a selfish form of self- expression, marring the beauty of history? I took a visit to a nearby street- Rue des Pyrénées, famed for its graffiti. I watched an artist at work with precision and care. Can one really consider this a defacing blemish on the cityscape?















No comments:

Post a Comment